This session will welcome Africa’s next generation of creators, producers, and dealmakers to the 3-day Next Gen Program. They will be greeted by major international public broadcasters already woven into the Sub-Saharan’s television marketplace. who will deliver a talk celebrating the next generation of content “Made in Africa”, its diversity, quality, and cross-African and universal appeal.
To be hosted by the African Animation Network, this session will promote the diversity of the African animation industry and invite animation, visual effects, gaming and comics associations to explore possibilities of creating co-production opportunities between African regions.
VR Professional will share his/her vision on what role Africa can play in the burgeoning VR industry, where Africa VR is currently and where is it going in the next few years.
· Stephen MARKOVITZ | General Manager | BIG WORLD CINEMA
How the world's premiere animation festival, Annecy International Animated Film Festival and Market (MIFA) is discovering, supporting and incubating talents from regions where industry and animation training are emerging.
- Géraldine BACHE | Head of Projects | Marché International du Film D’Animation
- Nick WILSON | Founder | African Animation Network
The African Animation Network has partnered with market leading sub-Saharan cinema franchise Ster Kinekor to debut FUPITOONS FESTIVAL at Rosebank Nouveau (26-29 October). FUPITOONS FESTIVAL; which is derived from the Swahili word meaning "short", is a short film festival which provides a unique platform for African animation content producers to be recognised and test audience.
· Lola GALLANT | Head of Alternative Content | Ster-Kinekor Theatres
· Lynne WALKER | Ster-Kinekor Theatres
· Comfort ARTHUR | Content Curator & Assistant Festival Director | African Animation Network
· Clea MALLINSON | Content Curator, Festival Editor & Assistant Festival Director | African Animation Network
· Wendy SPINKS | Head of Content & Festival Director | African Animation Network
Powerful investigative journalism can help to build stronger, open democracies and deliver gripping, talked-about television and digital stories. It’s good for society and it’s great for your ratings. As the BBC makes new investments in local content in Africa, specialist investigative journalists Marc Perkins and Daniel Adamson demonstrate how the BBC and its partners will expose previously untold stories and reveal remarkable aspects of life in Africa through original personal narrative. Much of Africa goes unreported. Discover how the BBC plans to use investigative journalism to make popular new programmes for audiences in Africa and to tell more African stories to the world.
· Marc PERKINS | Investigations Editor | BBC AFRICA
· Daniel ADAMSON | Digital Investigations Executive | BBC AFRICA
With Germany chosen to be the 2017 Guest Country, this round table discussion will bring together top Germany companies who not only believe in the future of Africa but also invest in the Continent’s innovative talent.
VR content production and distribution will take centre stage in the program. The following issues will be addressed: (1) How evolution in technology enables producers to experiment VR. Focus on Africa’s creative solutions. Presentation of different VR headsets and VR cameras including price points with focus on innovative initiatives to combat costs; (2) What’s hot in VR. The best VR content and the latest production trends in Africa; (3) The VR opportunities, especially for African producers.
· Shmerah PASSHIER | Head: Production Course | AFDA
· Ingrid KOPP | Co-Founder | ELECTRIC SOUTH
Two years after launching its on-demand service, Naspers’ South African streamer, Showmax has begun production of its first original series in a move signaling the company’s intent to build on its strategy of developing content for African markets. This session will explore the development, co-production and distribution strategies of popular streaming services and determine how these strategies will benefit independents producing content “Made in Africa”.
· Russell SOUTHWOOD | Editor in Chief | BALANCING ACT
· Denis PAGNAC | Founder & CEO | SUMMVIEW
· Manny TEIXEIRA | Group Head: Digital Media and Services | MTN
· Thabo Dabengwa | Manager | REEL AFRICAN
· Chris SAVIDES, HEAD: AFRICA | SHOWMAX